- Lew Tucker, Cloud CTO, Sun Microsystems
- Monty Taylor, MySQL Drizzle Geek, Sun Microsystems
- Jeremy Zawodny, MySQL hacker, craigslist
- Chander Kant, CEO, Zmanda
- Thorsten von Eicken, CTO, RightScale
- Prashant Malik, Cassandra Dude, Facebook
- Mike Culver, Evangelist, Amazon Web Services
I tried to provoke the panelists with questions around some areas I had thought out:
- So, what is a cloud anyway?
- Who is the cloud for?
- Why use the cloud?
- Cloud adoption barriers
- Are there cloud standards?
- Cloud Business Opportunities
- Cloud Competition
- Databases & Clouds
UPDATE: Here is a list of web resources on the shootout:
- Zack Urlocker's blog on Infoworld: http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/cloud-panel-mysql-conference-840
- Zack Urlocker's YouTube-video (8:31): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHHJaqON6Ow
- Full video on blip.tv: http://mysqlconf.blip.tv/file/2026246/
- Full video by O'Reilly Media on YouTube:Ã‚Â http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2xsQV72pSo
- Duncan Davidson's pictuers on Photoshelter: http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/duncandavidson/gallery-img-show/MySQL-Conference-Expo-2009/....
- Arun Gupta's blog:Ã‚Â http://weblogs.java.net/blog/arungupta/archive/2009/04/mysql_users_con_2.html
- Original plan in the schedule / conference program: http://www.mysqlconf.com/mysql2009/public/schedule/detail/8871
- The Great Open Cloud Shootout on FlickrÃ‚Â http://www.flickr.com/photos/x180/3465814071/
- Slides on SlideShare:Ã‚Â http://www.slideshare.net/kajarno/the-great-open-cloud-shootout-1343906
- Twitter comments on #mysqlconf and #cloud:Ã‚Â http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23mysqlconf+%23cloud
Judging from the nods and agreements between the panelists, the term "shootout" may have been a tad more aggressive than necessary to describe the discussion. But that didn't seem to disturb twitterers. I'm very glad to have got positive Twitter comments such as
- andygrove73: Excellent cloud shootout at the MySQL conference. Would have liked to hear discussion about sharding on the #cloud though.
- imsplitbit: RT @LenzGr: Great #cloud discussion at #mysqlconf, @sheeri is next. I agree, that was the best shootout I have been to.
- imsplitbit: If you are at #mysqlconf and are not at the Cloud Panel discussion you are missing out! Not to mention LAME! #cloud
- LenzGr: "Cloud not suitable for money laundry" (Monty Tailor in the #cloud shootout at #mysqlconf)
- sheeri: RT @LenzGr: Love the pictures in Kaj's slide deck of the #cloud panel discussion #mysqlconfÃ‚Â
I'm grateful to Steve Curry for coming up with the idea to this keynote. Thank you!Ã‚Â
I also wanto to extend a big Thank you to all our panelists, and to the audience -- I hope you had as fun as I did!
Here are some more of Zack Urlocker's pictures (the first picture on top, in the rain-protective hat, is by Duncan Davidson):Ã‚Â