And it is. Josh Berkus is leaving Sun, and Peter Eisentraut is joining.
After two years as Sun's PostgreSQL Lead, I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities. This does not mean that Sun is dropping PostgreSQL; far from it. Instead my fellow core team member Peter Eisentraut is taking over my role leading the PostgreSQL team at Sun. With Peter's experience in Oracle migrations and location near major Sun PostgreSQL customers, as well as many years leading the international team of translators for PostgreSQL documentation, he's going to do a great job with Sun's PostgreSQL development team. Probably better than me.
On July 22nd, 2008, I will be joining Sun Microsystems as PostgreSQL software engineer. Sun has been a valuable contributor to the PostgreSQL project for a number of years now, and I am looking forward to joining them in this effort. I am glad that I will be able to continue my personal role in the PostgreSQL project with the support of the great resources that Sun provides.
So, I expect that I will have more time to contribute to PostgreSQL development from now on, and both Sun and I have a sizeable backlog of projects and ideas that we would like to realize. Time to get started!
Over the years. I've met several times with both Josh and Peter. I'm sorry to see Josh go, but I have a feeling he won't disappear from the FOSS database circles -- so we'll meet again! And I'm happy to get to work closer with Peter, whom I've just met a couple of times at German or French FOSS database events. And I heard Peter is evening me out in the balance of people moving between Germany and Finland, so let's see where we'll see each other next.
- Josh Berkus's blog "Database Soup": http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/
- Josh Berkus's blog entry on leaving Sun: http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/sun-rise-sun-set-26078
- Peter Eisentraut's blog: http://people.planetpostgresql.org/peter/
- Peter's blog on joining Sun: http://people.planetpostgresql.org/peter/index.php?/archives/30-New-Job-at-Sun.html
- Terri Molini's blog on Peter joining Sun: http://blogs.sun.com/ontherecord/date/20080720