Barton is a colleague from Sun, who "looks after Sun's relationships with the various GNU/Linux communities as well as our relationship with the FSF" according to his blog. I spent time with him at the MySQL Users Conference last week. He is a fun guy to be around, and isn't as US-centric as his remark "Last year, my family and I emigrated from Silicon Valley to Austin, TX." would lead one to believe.
Barton is also an avid blogger. And, on top, a diligent podcaster.
As for blogging, he has recent MySQL relevant entries on partying (with MÃƒÂ¥rten of MySQL, and with Jonathan & Rich of Sun at the Pre-Conf Community Dinner), and with pics from the UC.
As for podcasts, he has already posted four entries from the MySQL UC, i.e. interviews with MÃƒÂ¥rten Mickos, with Zack Urlocker, with Baron Schwartz of Maatkit & Community Award fame, and with Jennifer Venable of Red Hat.
The podcasts are about 10 minutes each. To help you decide whether you want to spend those 10 mins or not, his blog entries provide tips on the contents, such as this one about the Zack blog:
- Exceeding expectations at the MySQL conference
- The availability of MySQL's 5.1 later this quarter and all the cool new features
- The GA of Workbench - a modeling tool for DBAs
- The morning's keynotes (here is the video Zack shot)
- The challenges that Werner Vogels, Amazon's CTO, faces
- Sun's performance tuning team and how it helps MySQL shine
- Zack's impressions of his first six weeks at Sun
Barton tells me there will be more podcasts posted soon, with Brian Aker of MySQL (now live!), and with Erica Brescia, CEO of BitRock (now also live!).
- Barton George's blog: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/
- MySQL Conf Kicks off with Parties at Marten's and Pedro's: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf_kicks_off_with
- Pics from MySQL Conference '08: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/pics_from_mysql_conference_08
- MySQL Conf08 - Chattin' with Zack Urlocker: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf08_chattin_with_zack
- MySQL Conf08 - Marten Mickos tells all: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf08_marten_mickos_tells
- MySQL Conf08 - My Interview with Jennifer Venable of Red Hat: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf08_my_interview_with
- MySQL Conf08 - Talkin' to Baron Schwartz, Community Award Winner: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf08_talkin_to_baron
- MySQL Conf08 - Hangin' with Brian Aker: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf08_hangin_with_brian
- MySQL Conf08 - Erica Brescia, CEO BitRock: http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/mysql_conf08_erica_brescia_ceo