The schedule is as follows:
- Wed 5 March 2008: Ian Murdock, 7am PT/16 CET. Ian is the ian of Debian and Chief OS Platform Strategist at Sun Microsystems. Wikipedia puts it like this:
Since joining Sun, he has led Project Indiana, which he describes as "taking the lesson that Linux has brought to the operating system and providing that for Solaris," making a full OpenSolaris distribution with GNOME and userland tools from GNU plus a network-based package management system.
- Thu 6 March 2008: Simon Phipps 6am PT/15CET. Simon is Chief Open Source Officer at Sun Microsystems. Sun's Executive Bio says:
[Simon is] co-ordinating Sun's extensive participation in free and open source software communities, promoting consistency and best practice and actively participating in the global conversation they express. Prior to this appointment he co-founded Sun's pioneering staff weblog facility at blogs.sun.com. Simon joined Sun in mid-2000.
- UPDATED: Wed 12 March 2008: Bob Brewin 9am PT / 18 CET. Bob is a Distinguished Engineer and Chief Technology Officer for Software at Sun Microsystems. Sun's Executive Bio says:
His responsibilities include technical leadership for developer products and application platforms, including the Java platform, mobility, enterprise software and business integration products. Within this role, some of his key areas of responsibility include Sun's expanding role in the development of Web 2.0 technologies, improving the developer experience, and alignment and integration of our platforms, technologies and tools.
I'll also be there, and so will several other MySQLers.
The purpose is for us to come to where the MySQL users are, online, for an informal chat. We'll try our best to answer your questions!
- Start your favourite IRC client. In my case, that's X-Chat on my Mac.
- Connect to the irc.freenode.net server.
- /join #mysql. That's the channel we'll be in. At least I will also be on #mysql-dev (for those who hack on MySQL Server itself, as opposed to use MySQL in their own apps) and #mysql.de (in German).
Chat to you on Wednesday and Thursday!